Sessions will be running from November 2022 to November 2023.
Come be a part of the Palliative Care Heart Disease Community of Practice! Connect with colleagues from across Canada with a shared interest in integrating a palliative care approach for individuals with advanced heart failure.
This COP is ideal for interprofessional palliative care clinicians with an interest in heart disease and heart specialists with a passion for palliative care.
Members of this COP will have the opportunity to meet every 2 months with a panel of experts in the field to engage in case discussions and explore topics such as symptom management and models of care (including home care, hospice, and palliative care units).
Each session is accredited (this 1-credit-per-hour Group Learning program has been certified by the College of Family Physicians of Canada for up to 6.0 Mainpro+ credits).
The first series for this Community of Practice wrapped up in April 2022. To view topics that were covered, session recordings, and accompanying slides, click here.
Session dates are listed below:
- Session was held on November 16, 2022 – Update to medical management of heart failure decompensations in the community, including cardiorenal dysfunction and managing with a palliative approach to care.
- Session was held on January 18, 2023 – Demystifying implantable cardioverter-defibrillators (ICD) – do you always need to deactivate?
- Session was held on March 15, 2023 – Complex case management and patients with complex goals of care.
- Session was held on May 17, 2023 – Diuretic management in the community: Lasix, Metolazone and Bumetanide.
- Session was held on September 20, 2023 – Multi-morbidity and heart failure – managing patients with multiple illnesses.
- Session was held on November 15, 2023 – De-prescribing cardiac and other medications: palliative care in people with advanced heart failure.
Register for this community of practice via Pallium Central and receive reminder emails and access links before each session.
- Click here to visit Pallium Central and login or create an account
- Select Heart Disease Community of Practice
- Type in the enrollment key: HEART22
Looking for core fundamental training on the palliative care approach?
The Palliative Care ECHO Project does not replace core fundamental training on the palliative care approach. Pallium Canada offers an online course for all health care professionals that teaches the essential practical knowledge, attitudes, and skills to provide a palliative care approach on-site. Learn more about LEAP Core.