Session was held on November 24, 2023.
We commemorated National Grief and Bereavement Day by coming together to support one another on the path of grief.
This webinar was a call to action, encouraging everyone to extend a helping hand and walk alongside those who are experiencing grief. It’s a day to be a comforting presence when words fall short. Our session delved into the universal experience of dealing with grief and bereavement, addressing the unique challenges faced by individuals of all ages.
We Explored strategies, insights, and stories of resilience as we learn how to be there for one another on this journey of healing and hope.
- Matthew Fillier, Grief and Bereavement Lead Primary Health Care – Integrated Palliative Care Team
Compassionate Companionship: Navigating Grief Together
- When Life Hits Hard: How to Transcend Grief, Crisis and Loss with Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (2021) Russ Harris
- What’s Your Grief? Lists To Help You Through Any Loss (2022) Eleanor Haley, Litsa Williams
- The Grief Recovery Handbook: The Action Program for Moving Beyond Death, Divorce, and Other Losses including Health, Career, and Faith (2009) John W. James and Russell Friedman
- It’s OK That You’re NOT OK: Meeting Grief and Loss in a Culture That Doesn’t Understand (2017) Megan Devine
- Resilient Grieving: How to Find Your Way Though A Devastating Loss (2017) Lucy Hone
- Death Interrupted: How Modern Medicine Is Complicating The Way We Die (2022) Blair Bigham
- Walking the Tiger: Healing Trauma (1997) Peter A. Levine
- The Body Keeps Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma (2015) Bessel Van Der Kolk
- Remembering For Good: Wholehearted Living After Loss: https://rememberingforgood.com/
- Self-Compassion – Dr. Kristin Neff: https://self-compassion.org/
- What’s your Grief – A Grief Website for the Rest of Us: https://whatsyourgrief.com/
- Bereaved Families of Nova Scotia (bfocb.ca): https://bfocb.ca/
- Dying With Dignity Canada | It’s your life. It’s your choice.: https://www.dyingwithdignity.ca/
- Grieving – CMHA Nova Scotia Division: https://novascotia.cmha.ca/documents/grieving/
Appendix (maybe we can add this as another drop down):
- Slide 17: national-grief-response-proposal-eng-fin.pdf (canadiangriefalliance.ca)
- Slide 18: Irish Hospice Foundation. (2020). Adult Bereavement Care Pyramid: A National Framework. https://hospicefoundation.ie/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/Adult-Bereavement-Care-Pyramid-Booklet.pdf
- Slide 20: Oates JR, Maani-Fogelman PA. Nursing Grief and Loss. 2022 Sep 18. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2023 Jan–. PMID: 30085531.
- Slide 23: Lauren J. Breen, Daisuke Kawashima, Karima Joy, Susan Cadell, David Roth, Amy Chow & Mary
- Ellen Macdonald (2022) Grief literacy: A call to action for compassionate communities, Death
- Studies, 46:2, 425-433, DOI: 1080/07481187.2020.1739780
The Grief Recovery Handbook: the action program for moving beyond death, divorce, and other
- losses (20th anniversary expanded edition) (2009) The Grief Recovery Institute, John W. James and
- Russel Friedman
- Slide 26: When Life Hits Hard: How to Transcend Grief, Crisis, and Loss by Russ Harris (2021)
- Slide 27: Asist Trauma Care UK (ASSIST Trauma Care | Working together from trauma to recovery)
- Slide 28: Steven Spidell, Annemarie Wallace, Cindy L. Carmack, Graciela M. Nogueras-Gonzalez, Crystal L.
- Parker, Scott B. Cantor, “Grief in Healthcare Chaplains: An Investigation of the Presence of
- Disenfranchised Grief,” Journal of Health Care Chaplaincy 17:1-2 (2011): 76.
- Slide 29: Continuing Bonds: New Understandings of Grief 1996) Edited by Dennis Lass, Phyllis R. Silverman,
- and Steven L. Nickman.
- Slide 31: National Cancer Institute, United States (Grief, Bereavement, and Loss – NCI (cancer.gov))
- Slide 33: What’s Your Grief: Lists To Help You Through Any Loss (2022) By Eleanor Haley, and Litsa Williams
- Slide 38: Brene Brown (Atlas of the Heart | Boundaries are a prerequisite for compassion and empathy. – Brené
- Brown (brenebrown.com), Brené Brown’s Empathy Definition & Attributes | Shortform Books,
- Slide 40: What’s Your Grief: Lists To Help You Through Any Loss (2022) By Eleanor Haley, and Litsa Williams
- (p.186-189 for complete list)